MotoGP: Marquez tops Barcelona private test
Marc Marquez has topped a private two-day test at the Circuit Catalunya in Barcelona, in an outing at the home of next month’s Catalan Grand prix that saw half the MotoGP grid line up for the two days of track activity.
However, always careful of the limited amount of testing days available to them, Marquez and Repsol Honda teammate Dani Pedrosa only took to the track on the second day of testing despite fellow Honda riders Jack Miller, Cal Crutchlow and Tito Rabat completing both days.
The test was organised by Ducati, with factory rider Jorge Lorenzo setting a good pace on the modified circuit. He and teammate Andrea Dovizioso were joined by test riders Casey Stoner and Michele Pirro, with the testing team also enjoying an extra day on Monday directly after the French Grand Prix – but with Stoner running with no transponder at the outing.
- Sheene’s XR14 back on track
- Alien Moto win PETA award for vegan suit
- Energica charging less
- Much-anticipated Husqvarna 701 Svartpilen and Vitpilen spotted in Spain
- The Bike Shed London show set to go global!
And, speaking after the outing, Lorenzo admitted he was pleased with the development work that they had achieved.
“It was a very interesting test. In two days I did about 150 laps, notching up a lot of kilometres and we found some positive solutions. I was also the fastest Ducati rider on both days. Overall we are competitive in every sector, but we are still losing a few tenths in the final part and so we will have to improve here in view of the race. As for the front tyre, Michelin have done a good job, bringing a couple of tyres that resolve the problem of graining on the right side, but we still have to find a solution for the rear.”
- Marc Marquez 1:43.803
- Jorge Lorenzo 1:44.267 0.464
- Cal Crutchlow 1:44.369 0.566
- Dani Pedrosa 1:44.373 0.570
- Alvaro Bautista 1:44.431 0.628
- Andrea Dovizioso 1:45.268 1.465
- Tito Rabat 1:45.321 1.518
- Loris Baz 1:45.719 1.916
- Aleix Espargaró 1:45.720 1.917
- Hector Barbera 1:46.119 2.316
- Sam Lowes 1:46.504 2.701
- Michele Pirro 1:46.788 2.985
- Karel Abraham 1:47.121 3.318
*Times are not official.