Ad closing in seconds....

TRIUMPH THRUXTON 900 (2003-on) Review

Published: 24 November 2006

Great looking retro cafe racer but just doesn't have the punchy power you'd expect

Triumph Thruxton motorcycle review - Side view

The Triumph Thruxton is a great looking retro cafe racer but just doesn't have the punchy power you'd expect of a big twin. It also sounds dull, boring almost. Compared to buying a well restored Triton 650 for the same money, the modern day Triumph Thruxton is a weak imitation of genuine cafe racer cool.

For a moderately heavy bike, the Triumph Thruxton handles OK, but it doesn't convince the rider that this a genuinely sporty thing to ride, apart from the `full-on' racy riding position. Suspensiosn is too soft and adjustable for preload only. When pushed hard, the Triumph Thruxton goes all mushy.

The 865cc Triumph Thruxton motor produces a healthy 69bhp, which is well up on the Triumph Scrambler/Speedmaster power output from the same mill, but the Thruxton doesn't have the punch that a big twin should have. The bike sounds like it's being strangled by its quiet exhausts - a Triumph Thruxton should bark, and bite.

The finish is OK on the Triumph Thruxton, but this isn't a motorcycle which you would ride every day to work, all year round. There are too many little bits and pieces on the Triumph Thruxton which don't weather too well and even though it's a cheap bike, it could be better finished.

Buy a retro Ducati or Harley-Davidson and you'll always find a queue of buyers when you're ready to sell it. Buy a Triumph Thruxton and your options are more limited. You'd have to be an absolute Triumph devotee to own this slow, underbraked and uncomfortable motorcycle. Find a Triumph Thruxton for sale

Insurance group: 13 of 17 – compare motorcycle insurance quotes now.

As you'd expect, the Triumph Thruxton is a bit lacking in creature comforts, but even a stripped down, 21st century cafe racer should have a bigger fuel tank and twin discs up front.

Year introduced 2003
Warranty term Two year unlimited mileage
Engine type 8v, twin, 5 gears
Frame type Steel cradle
Fuel capacity 16.6 litres
Front suspension Preload
Rear suspension Preload
Front brake 320mm disc
Front tyre size 100/90 x 18 in
Rear tyre size 130/80 x 17 in

2003: Triumph Thruxton 900 launched.
2007: Minor paint and detail changes.
2008: Fuel injection added.
2010: Thruxton SE model introduced.

Thruxton SE - Headlight cowl, red frame, black engine cases

17 owners have reviewed their TRIUMPH THRUXTON 900 (2003-on) and rated it in a number of areas. Read what they have to say and what they like and dislike about the bike below.

Review your TRIUMPH THRUXTON 900 (2003-on)

03 November 2017 by riskreward

Changed out the exhaust and removed the back fender....a few other tweaks.....awesome smooth and now a great sound

Have had no issues

Thruxton Magic

17 December 2016 by Jenko

Best feature is the feel of the bike. Solid. Handling is very good. Brakes are good, and certainly enough for most road riders in the real world. It looks fantastic. Always attracts attention wherever I go. Worst feature, and I'm nit-picking, is the lack of centrestand. Definitely recommend it. Overall, this bike makes me smile whenever I ride it. I can feel what it's doing, no computers to overide the cerebrum - wrist - throttle interface.

A bit old school and basic suspension, but I kinda like that. Less to go wrong. Standard rear shocks are absolutely fine, dont follow the forums and change them needlessly. I've taken a pillion but this bike is all about riding solo. Ive ridden it for 165 miles without a break, then fuelled up and done another 100. Just for pleasure on a sunny day.
Feels better than my SE Bonnie, and I've modified them very similarly. I love the torque and the way it pulls so smoothly through the range. It rvs to a higher redline than my Bonnie SE, but they're the same block, so it must have different ECU and EFi system. And the engine noise now, is superb. See my modifications below.
Only let down by the Bonneville curious occasional starting hiccup. Press the button and . . . Nothing. Switch it off, try again, it starts. Why? No one seems to know, but my other Bonnie does it occasionally too.
Easy to service myself. Triumph services aren't too expensive though, and my local dealership is good. Staffordshire Triumph. Only expensive part of the service is the valve clearance checks, every 12k. I did them myself on my other Bonnie, and they never needed adjustment, just checking. It's a bit heavier on tyres than I expected, but that might be down to my riding style. it encourages me to ride it like I stole it. Honest officer, it made me do that!
Equipment is exactly as I like on a motorcycle - basic. It's got a clock, trip, speedo and rev counter. Why would you need any more? Seriously, what other info do you need? If you've got time to fiddle with on board computers, you're not enjoying the sheer exhilaration of riding. I've modified it to remove all the Euro legislation rubbish. Removed SAI and Lambda sensors, fitted hiflo air filter and bellmouth intake. Removed the airbox baffle. Put Triumph TOR exhausts on it and remapped it using Triumph Twin Power remap. Much much better than the Triumph remap. It goes so much better with those simple mods. Unbelievable difference. Feels like the bike Triumph really wanted it to be.

Bought from Staffordshire Triumph. I only popped in to buy an oil filter for my Bonnie! Paid advertised price of £5999. Still had some Triumph warranty left and only 1200 miles. Came with TOR exhaust and standard exhaust.

Thruxton Joy

27 October 2015 by Geraldine

The best feature is the power without the 'whizzy' sound of a triple also wonderful 'pulling' power when tank bag & panniers fully laden. It's as if the Thruxton forgets it's a cafe racer & becomes a work horse. It's a constant lovely thing to look at & it is a joy to ride, the only wish would be that it was just a tad lighter.

The BIKE magazine say's 'not really for 2 up' but, guess what we rode the Thruxton from London to Italy no problem, in fact the bike loves 2 up as it's engine is so powerful & torque that it seems to 'tame' the engine somewhat.
Power comes on slowly & smoothly with a slight 'rise' in the height if whacked on in strong winds, wonderful feeling
The battery needs a trickle feed as it has a 'park light' & this will drain the battery if not careful.
Like everything the price of service has gone up, but the quality of the build is exceptional & zero corrosion to date.
When I read that bikes have lots of 'gadgets' & 'helpful' ride assistance i just think well the rider needs such things if using for commutes or rain, but as I use my bike for pleasure I just love the look of the rpm counter ticking

Bought new from Metropolis in Vauxhall a great dealer with terrific after sales & clothing department part exchange from a previous Thruxton & before that a Bonneville

Excellent Retro Reliablility

02 April 2014 by soundgen

I own a 2013 Thruxton 900 and LOVE it. I have put on aftermarket cans and a few other accessories. I also have had the engine remapped. It is now a bit faster but sounds sooo much better than when new. It has everyone looking. It looks beautiful and can keep up with anyone in the twisties. It isn't as fast at accelerating, but I have so much fun on good UK country roads. I have so many people asking me about it at lights and filling stations. I even commute on it (I got the Triumph Gel Seat) and with some TLC it got through the winter in perfect condition. I have done 3000 miles on it and can't get enough of it. If you commute then you might prefer some wind protection, but I like this bike so much, the look, sound and feel remove any atmospheric discomfort that there may be... What MCN has said that is negative can easily be remedied with Triumph accessories or aftermarket ones. Own one, love one.

Super

03 July 2013 by Empire

Had red one - with sports pipes - excellant bike - real head turner - not yr boring little plastic crotch rocket - Try it =

2005 Triumph Thruxton 900

30 March 2010 by kingmoham

Bought new in November of 2005, after nearly 4 years of service, I submit the following for review: In four years I have put 12,000 miles on the clock, changed the tires once (Avons), changed the brakes pads twice, seasonal fluid changes, all without incident. Battery is the original and shows no sign of failure, being maintained by a tender when not in use. I have had zero quality issues. No rust, no chipped paint, no crappy chrome, no torn seats, no frayed cables, no nothing. The 'Old Fashioned' Carburetors have performed flawlessly since new. My Thruxton is ridden year round in new England, but not in all weather situations. I don't ride in the rain or snow, but have ridden at temps below freezing, as well as temps above 100 degrees F. and regardless of temps, the Thruxton seems to perfectly do what is asked of it. It certainly isn't the fastest, quickest, nimblest, or advanced. But it has become is one hell of reliable motorcycle that can make your face smile, and it will always be an attention getter, as it will pull a crowd away from the Harley Davidson, Ducati, or the Japanese ride at any event, and you'll find yourself answering the same questions over and over from interested folks. It is, exactly what Triumph Motorcycles wanted this motorcycle to be...a very appealing, all around reliable motorcycle.

2005 Triumph Thruxton 900

30 March 2010 by Anonymous

2008 Thruxton

28 July 2009 by ThruxtonBandit

I got my Thruxton at the begining of the year and have riden it nearly every day since. I love this bike and would recomend it to anyone who likes to cruise fast. I realise its not a fast bike but the twin gives you plently of low torque while the the rider position gives you a fast feel- I get to feel like I'm a retro holigan without too much risk to my licence. If you get this bike just remember, your not buying a super bike. your buying something that will put a grin on your face. nothing pleased me more when my colegue, who rides a GSXR6 came over to me bitching because everyone who stops by looks at my bike and not his. Thats why I ride a Thruxton ;) Ride and handling: Front brakes could be better. A second disk would cure it and the suspension could be beefed up but I think a second disk would spoil the look and feel of the bike. Equipment: plenty of after market bits you can add if you want them. I h\ve no complaints here. Reliability: I've put 4k on my clock since January and I had one thing go wrong in that time (touch wood- I have to ride home tonight). The front break braket broke. this, I think, was due to me putting a disk lock on my bike and trying to ride off with it on. I must have put a hair line fracture in it or some thing because it broke shortly after. Turned out to be a recall part anyway as the bolts that hold it all on are too short. you can get the whole thing fixed by Triumph free of charge. Value: I guess you could get more for your money but I guess Triumph know they are selling to enthusiasts, dont they. Engine: Again, 4k miles and not a peep. not one drop of oil either. my only negative is its a little under powered and doesnt sound the way it should unless you change the pipes. my bike is going to get a few upratings but i have the better pipes so at least it sounds closer to what you want. Overall. Great bike. If you want one- get one. you will not be dissapointed.. but you will want to tweek it. Do not leave the show room with the standard pipes on. You have been warned.

A bike to play dress up with.

31 October 2008 by yournamehere

I've repeatedly been given a Thruxton as a courtesy bike from my local dealer, and I have to say, I love it. The bike I rode had a few mods, the Arrow 2 into 1 can, a headlamp cowl and a single seat conversion. With the clubman bars, bar end mirrors and the racy riding position it equates to a lot of (slow) fun. The aftermarket can makes it sound angry and loud enough to scare small children, it barks on big throttle openings and pops and bangs away on the overrun, which I have to admit is part of the appeal. You just have to get into the spirit of the thing and wear an open face helmet and goggles. As a practical everyday machine, look elsewhere. As an experience, well you just have to try it.

For The Individualist

28 September 2008 by billkincaid

For what I paid for my Thruxton, I had other choices. This bike suits me, though. It's different. Not a plowhorse Harley, not a racehorse Ducati, just a sleek, retro-cool machine that has a long pedigree. Harleys feel like they're made from tractor parts. There's that whole macho-scowl thing that goes with riding them, too. And the sport bikes are more scary-fast than I can handle, or can use riding to work on 35 mph streets with dozens of stop signs and signals along the way. I just sold a 1968 Bonneville, and got used to people stopping by to talk with me about it in parking lots and at stoplights. I get a little of that on the Thruxton, too, to my surprise. There's a lot of nostalgic Triumph lovers out there. In standard trim it's too quiet, so I traded the mufflers in for Triumph offroad-use-onlies - "TORs" -which make it sound a lot better. I also eliminated the rear fender to capitalize on that cool littl tail-cone on the back of the seat. Finishing touch - painting it exactly like the 1968 Bonneville I just sold. It's the only full retro Thruxton around.

my kind of ride

05 February 2008 by Jelle

The thruxton may not be a genuine racing machine, it lacks some stopping power, and it's hp-output is a little sad for a 900. But those are all little things you can easily fix yourself (just like the sound). Personally I think it's the best bike I ever had, it took me from Belgium to Greece in less than a week, without even drinking a drop of oil. Ok, if you ride it for a complete day (let alone 4 days), you'll feel a bit shaken & banged up, but hey! at least you know you've been riding a motorcycle! :) I added an old ducati 750 tophalf fairing & a steering damper, switched the sprocketguard for a lighter one, removed the air injector, half-emptied my exhausts, and made some crash protectors and an other taillight. Not necessary, just fun to do. In my own eyes this bike beats anything else. (neglecting the classics like a ducati 900ss, triton and norton manx of course)

good classic lines

22 January 2008 by 65380301

as a second bke it is a very satisfiying bike to own and ride.it is a good contrast to my other bike(RS Sprint). As a 856cc air cooled motorcycle the power out put is what you would expect with todays emision laws, but in spite of the lack of modern day power it is very rewarding to ride. Yes the clip ons are low but for my height (5'8) its make a good ride. To sum up its fun and relistic bike to own.

Go your own way...

22 August 2007 by Gobert23

Before you even consider the Thruxton, you have to consider what you're looking for in a motorcycle. Me? I was after something completely different, a different ownership experience, where the pleasure of riding and owning would rate higher than having the most sophisticated technology, razor sharp handling or power output. I wanted to enjoy the ride and stay well within the bounds of the law. Being able to take in the sights and sounds at a slower pace, yet having a smile in every mile. My other thought was that I wanted to experience the 'golden age' of motorcycling, without having to deal with dodgy electrics or small puddles of oil... There was a few choices available, but the Thruxton ticked (almost) all the boxes. I felt it was better value than a Harley Davidson and presented a better experience than perhaps an aircooled Ducati or even an ol' Enfield. It's important to do a little research and work out what upgrades and changes will cost. The aftermarket parts for a Harley were just to expensive to be justifiable and I really didn't buy into the 'lifestyle' experience they were pushing. Triumph seems to have remembered that bikes are about, well, bikes... and not about mass branding and 'image'. The Triumph doesn't over promise and under delivery. It does axactly what it says on the tin. So far, I've been pretty impressed with my choice. Yes, it doesn't bear any comparison to any modern Japanese machinery. The brakes are weak and lack progression, the suspension is soft at the front and stiff at the rear as standard... and the stock exhausts hardly raise a whisper. I have to say that the brakes were the only immediate disappointment, with my expectations higher, but I can accept (to a degree) that some budgeting had to be done is sourcing the caliper (rubbish!) and the master cylinder (not far behind it). With the initial niggles adressed, the riding experience needs my head to be re-calibrated. With open pipes, there is a satisfying rumble from the engine, with just a hint of crackle on the overrun (carbs are lovely in that respect). It can only really be described as 'soulful'. The performance doesn't break any records (the originals weighed less and had more power), but there's reliable, usable electrics and electric start. I would say that the engine is willing, if totally understressed. There's certainly more than a little tuning potential to be had using traditional tuning techniques (filter, exhuasts and jetting... remember those?) The Thruxton does benefit from adjustable front forks (unlike the standard Bonnevilles) but only for pre-load. Adjustments are essential if you're going to even think about a pillion. What I like is being able to build that 'bond' with the bike. Take apart, service, fettle and adjust as I need; without needing a diagnostic or a degree in electronics...

Head turner

20 August 2007 by setts

I've had 15,000 fantastic, trouble free kilometres on my 2006 Thruxton. Certainly the standard power, handling, weight and braking does not compare to modern 900 cc Jap bikes. After all it is a 2 cylinder, carb fuelled air cooled bike with twin rear shock suspension. The fundamental faults, sans the weight are relatively easy to fix. And then you have a fantastic personal motorcycle that really turns heads. Go on be different...

classic cool

08 May 2007 by hardtop

This is a really cool bike honest.the look is just right (in black of course)loud pipes are a must for it to feel old skool. the noise is just perfect!! it makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up each and everytime i start it up. Power is smooth and progressive but not stunning (last bike was a blade)95mph and its running out of puff but it gets there in such a fun way you wont mind. B roads are the best place for it really but motorways are ok just as long as you dont mind people gawping as you thunder past. The brakes are naff no feel or power this for me is the weakest part of the thruxton and its shame.Most bikers dont realise its a quickish bike in fare hands so some will laugh it off until you are right up there chuff when they mysteriously move over to let you past (funny that !!)its not everybodys cup of tea but its mine

great all rounder

26 March 2007 by Anonymous

3 years and 10,000 miles later I cannot think of another bike that works as well for me. I wanted a b road bike and my licence needed me to slow down. I needed a machine that would be fun at real world speeds and that I could wring out flat out through the gears without risking a jail term. In other words I wanted a bike that makes 100 mph feel fast and not just somewhere you flash through between 2nd and 3rd gear. The Thruxton is that bike. In performance terms it's equivalent to a jap 400. In handling it's distinctly eighties and probably a match for an LC down a b road, but anything more modern would leave it for dead. So it defies comparison with anything made in the last decade. But with the almost obligatory noisy exhausts it sounds wonderful and delivers a wonderfully retro riding experience. So the good points? Reliable, despite my flat out riding style: nothing went wrong in 10,000 miles. It makes sensible speeds feel exciting, looks great and sounds excellent at full throttle. The Thruxton is also cheap to run and insure and (given that I had a Hayabusa before) the tyre life amazed me. It also depreciates incredibly slowly and is comfortable over a distance. The bad points? The styling may be pure 60's but the handling is stuck in the 80's. The suspension goes off within a few thousand miles if you hack around bumpy b roads. There are a couple of niggles. Where do Triumph designers live that they don't consider a lockable fuel cap a necessity? ..and if they are not saving weight perhaps they could fit a main stand. Otherwise a great ownership proposition as long as you prefer to ride without a pillion and don't mind dumping the race leathers for black ones and looking as retro as your bike.

Looks good, Build not so good

12 March 2007 by garfieldpez

Lets face it, if your looking at one of these your NOT buying it for 1)Comfort 2)Top speed! This bike is one of the best looking bikes i have ever owned, everyone comes to talk to you about it because it looks like an authentic 60s cafe racer! The ride is a litte uncomfortable at low speeds but once the pace heats up its pretty good. Riding the bike is a dream it corners solid as a rock (think ZX7r or any older Kwaks) not the quickest but predictable and goes where you want it to. The engine is lovely straight from tick over to the red line is one linear power curve, no matter what gear and what speed just open the throttle. Build quality is not the strongest point of the Thruxton, both speedo and rev counter started leeking and both engine cases started to look very poor after 90 miles of poor weather use, but at least triumph were quick to sort my bikes problems under warranty. Overall its a great bike as long as your not looking for a zx10r or Busa or R6 or anything like that its the engine character and looks that sold this bike to me and will to plenty of others too!

• Triumph Thruxton motorcycle review - Rear view
  • Triumph Thruxton motorcycle review - Top view
  • Triumph Thruxton motorcycle review - Instruments
Bauer Media

Bauer Media Group consists of: Bauer Consumer Media Ltd, Company number: 01176085, Bauer Radio Ltd, Company Number: 1394141
Registered Office: Media House, Peterborough Business Park, Lynch Wood, Peterborough, PE2 6EA H Bauer Publishing,
Company Number: LP003328 Registered Office: Academic House, 24-28 Oval Road, London, NW1 7DT.
All registered in England and Wales. VAT no 918 5617 01
Bauer Consumer Media Ltd are authorised and regulated by the FCA(Ref No. 710067)