BSB Brands Hatch: Sykes wins race two
08 August 2010 18:31
Kawasaki WSB rider Tom Sykes won his first BSB race since Knockhill 2008 when he took the second race of the triple-header Brands Hatch weekend.
The factory Kawasaki rider crossed the line ahead of Michael Rutter and Ryuichi Kiyonari and said: “I was pleased to get out front. We made big changes since yesterday and they clearly paid off, so thanks to the team for their hard work. We now want a repeat performance in the next one to try and make it a double."
Worx Suzuki rider Tommy Hill finished sixth behind Michael Laverty (Relentless Suzuki) and James Ellison (Swan Honda). Hill is now a joint leader in the championship with Brookes and Kiyonari in the general standings – all three of them on 229 points.
The first attempt to run the race was brought to a premature end after three laps when Alastair Seeley crashed at Surtees and Andrew Pitt clipped his bike in the melee. Pitt sustained a broken collarbone. Seeley was unhurt but his Relentless Suzuki was extensively damaged.
Kyonari’s team-mate Josh Brookes didn’t make the restart. He crashed while leading during the second lap.
MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship, Brands Hatch, race two top ten results:
1. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki WSB)
2. Ryuichi Kiyonari (HM Plant Honda) +1.118s
3. Michael Rutter (Ridersmotorcycles.com Ducati) +3.497s
4. Michael Laverty (Relentless Suzuki by TAS) +4.000s
5. James Ellison (Swan Honda) +4.189s
6. Tommy Hill (Worx Crescent Suzuki) +11.142s
7. Stuart Easton (Swan Honda) +11.182s
8. Yukio Kagayama (Worx Crescent Suzuki) +11.937s
9. Dan Linfoot (Motorpoint Yamaha) +15.507s
10. Gary Mason (MSS Colchester Kawasaki) +15.637s
MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship top six standings after race two:
1. Josh Brookes (HM Plant Honda) 229
2. Tommy Hill (Worx Crescent Suzuki) 229
3. Ryuichi Kiyonari (HM Plant Honda) 229
4. Michael Laverty (Relentless Suzuki by TAS) 206
5. Michael Rutter (Ridersmotorcycles.com Ducati) 201
6. Alastair Seeley (Relentless Suzuki by TAS) 153