Casey Stoner plays down wild card return in 2013

By Matthew Birt -

MotoGP

 11 June 2012 14:37

Casey Stoner has played down the prospect of making special wild card appearances in the future after deciding to retire from full-time racing in MotoGP at the end of 2012.

Although the Aussie hasn’t completely ruled out one-off wild card appearances, the double MotoGP world champion says he has no immediate plans to race in 2013.

The prospect of Stoner making a wild card appearance for his home race at Phillip Island next year has been rumoured in the paddock already.

Stoner has a remarkable record at Phillip Island having never lost a race in the 800cc era and if he is to be tempted to return to action, it will most likely be on home soil.

But he told MCN a dramatic return at Phillip Island in front of his army of fans had not crossed his mind at this stage.

He said: “I'd have to think about it and haven't thought about it too much. I just want to finish this year and do the best I can.”

Speaking about the potential for a wild card in other races, the 26-year-old said: “It is not something I have thought about too much. There is always a possibility but right now I just want to get this season done.

"I guess it would be a lot of fun but there is nothing going on at the moment. Maybe in the future years it would be fun to do but keeping up to speed might be the problem."

Stoner announced his retirement last month in Le Mans and is scheduled to make his last appearance in the British Grand Prix at Silverstone this weekend.

See the June 13 issue off MCN in which Stoner recalls his greatest British GP memories as part of a special 16-page preview to the Silverstone clash.