Guy Martin out of Southern 100

By MCN Sportsdesk -

TT & road races

 08 July 2010 09:34

Current Southern 100 Solo Champion, Guy Martin has withdrawn from the Steam Packet International Southern 100 Road Races, which commence next Monday 12th July and run through to Thursday 15th, on medical advice.

The popular rider from Kirmington, North Lincolnshire escaped serious injury during last month’s Senior TT and has been recovering from injuries received in a high-speed incident at Ballagarey and was aiming to make his comeback at the annual Southern 100. 

Martin said: “I’m gutted that I can’t compete at Billown and attempt to regain my Solo Championship title I won last year. However the medical people have advised me to wait a bit longer to let my injuries heal 100% and I have, for once gone along with their advice.

“I will be back again next year, as eager as ever to lift the Southern 100 Solo Championship, at the best meeting of the year.”

Race Secretary, George Peach echoed Guy’s disappointment and said: “Like everyone else involved with the Southern 100 was looking forward to seeing Guy in action again at Billown, especially so after his spill in the Senior TT, but would rather wait twelve months for him to be fully fit, than to risk possibly harming himself by coming back too early.

“Even with the loss of Guy, the quality and depth of the entry at next
week’s 55th Southern 100 the racing will be as close and as exciting as
ever.”