WSB Magny Cours: Sykes win race two, Biaggi wins title by 0.5points
07 October 2012 18:07
Tom Sykes did everything he could to wrestle the WSB crown away from Italian Max Biaggi, but was ultimately denied the title by just 0.5 points. In a tense finish to the 2012 WSB season, Biaggi finished in fifth place which was just enough to secure the big prize and his sixth world title and second WSB crown.
Sykes said: “On one hand its frustrating to miss out but on the other I’m happy because we’ve exceeded all expectations this year. I was really happy with how I rode in the second race. As soon as the track dried and we fitted slicks I knew we were in a good position to win.
Jonathan Rea claimed second place which went some way to make up for his crash whilst leading in race one. He was followed home by race one winner Sylvan Guintoli who wrapped up a brilliant weekend in front of his home fans.
Eugene Laverty ended the second race in fourth after being asked to slow for his team-mate, Biaggi. In the end his help wasn’t needed with Biaggi doing just enough to become champion, but the team orders still wrecked the Irishman’s race.
Ducati men Carlos Checa and Davide Giugliano finished in sixth and seventh ahead of Chaz Davies who had a difficult weekend from start to finish.
Leon Camier rode through the pain barrier in race two after his big high side in race one to finish in tenth place.
1. Tom Sykes GBR Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R 23 laps
2. Jonathan Rea GBR Honda WSBK CBR1000RR +1.354s
3. Sylvain Guintoli FRA PATA Ducati 1098R +2.393s
4. Eugene Laverty IRL Aprilia Racing RSV-4 +13.122s
5. Max Biaggi ITA Aprilia Racing RSV-4 +13.955s
6. Davide Giugliano ITA Althea Ducati 1098R +18.229s
7. Carlos Checa ESP Althea Ducati 1098R +18.430s
8. Chaz Davies GBR ParkinGO MTC Aprilia RSV-4 +26.648s
9. Ayrton Badovini ITA BMW Italia Goldbet S1000RR +33.809s
10. Leon Camier GBR Crescent Fixi Suzuki GSX-R1000 +37.217s
11. Maxime Berger FRA Red Devils Ducati 1098R +38.871s
12. Claudio Corti ITA Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R +55.714s
13. Lorenzo Zanetti ITA PATA Ducati 1098R +57.621s
14. Hiroshi Aoyama JPN Honda WSBK CBR1000RR +1m 05.487s
15. Norino Brignola ITA Grillini Progea BMW S1000RR +1 lap
16. Leon Haslam GBR BMW Motorrad S1000RR 15 laps completed
17. Michel Fabrizio ITA BMW Italia Goldbet S1000RR 8 laps completed
18. Marco Melandri ITA BMW Motorrad S1000RR 5 laps completed
19. Loris Baz FRA Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R 5laps completed