Nurburgring WSB: Biaggi wins to take championship lead
09 September 2012 11:45
2010 WSB champion Max Biaggi took advantage of a rare mistake by BMW rider Marco Melandri to take victory at the Nurburgring and the championship lead by 6.5 points.
Melandri was in third place behind Tom Sykes and Biaggi when he crashed out after running wide on lap five.
Kawasaki rider Sykes led for the first half of the race and looked comfortable ahead of Biaggi until the Brits' lap times drastically fell. Sykes was unable to hold off Biaggi and dropped down the field.
Factory Aprilia rider Eugene Laverty and ParkinGO Aprilia rider Chaz Davies also passed Sykes to make it an all Aprilia podium. Sykes finished fourth to stay third in the championship.
Davies was luck to finish the race after a huge moment, which the Welshman just managed to save.
Althea Ducati rider Carlos Checa finished 12th after crashing out at the first corner on the second lap. Checa was one of many fallers, including Jonathan Rea, Davide Giugliano and Loris Baz.
After having to start from the back of the grid, Fixi Crescent Suzuki rider Leon Camier rode a brilliant race to finish fifth.
1. Max Biaggi (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 38'52.751
2. Eugene Laverty (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 38'55.778
3. Chaz Davies (ParkinGO MTC Racing) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 38'55.878
4. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 39'05.057
5. Leon Camier (FIXI Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 39'06.882
6. Sylvain Guintoli (PATA Racing Team) Ducati 1098R 39'12.274
7. Leon Haslam (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) BMW S1000 RR 39'19.768
8. Lorenzo Zanetti (PATA Racing Team) Ducati 1098R 39'25.867
9. Ayrton Badovini (BMW Motorrad Italia GoldBet) BMW S1000 RR 39'27.688
10. Hiroshi Aoyama (Honda World Superbike Team) Honda CBR1000RR 39'31.883
11. Maxime Berger (Team Effenbert Liberty Racing) Ducati 1098R 39'33.751
12. Carlos Checa (Althea Racing) Ducati 1098R 39'33.876
13. John Hopkins (FIXI Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 39'39.676
14. Lorenzo Lanzi (Liberty Racing Team Effenbert) Ducati 1098R 39'47.410
15. Brett McCormick (Team Effenbert Liberty Racing) Ducati 1098R 39'49.093
16. Alexander Lundh (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 40'02.481
17. Norino Brignola (Grillini Progea Superbike Team) BMW S1000 RR 40'36.430
RT. Loris Baz (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 33'14.140
RT. Marco Melandri (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) BMW S1000 RR 9'40.675
RT. Davide Giugliano (Althea Racing) Ducati 1098R 5'52.293
RT. Jonathan Rea (Honda World Superbike Team) Honda CBR1000RR 3'55.107
RT. Michel Fabrizio (BMW Motorrad Italia GoldBet) BMW S1000 RR