WSB Silverstone: Sykes stays on top despite failing to improve on first qualifying time
03 August 2013 12:41
Tom Sykes secured provisional pole position at Silverstone despite being unable to better his first qualifying best in this morning’s second qualifying session.
The Kawasaki Superbike man spent the 45minute session dialling in his re-built ZX-10R after writing his number one bike off in a turn one crash in the dying minutes of first qualifying yesterday afternoon.
Leon Camier set the fastest lap of the second session to consolidate his second position on the provisional grid. Camier and the British Fixi Crescent Suzuki team have clearly got the GSXR1000 working well with the flowing Silverstone track suiting the sweet handling Suzuki.
Championship leader Sylvain Guintoli made his intentions clear with a strong performance on his factory Aprilia to move up to third place, followed closely by his team-mate Eugene Laverty in fourth.
Davide Giugliano maintained his strong form to secure fifth, with Pata Honda man Jonathan Rea making steady progress up the leader board to secure sixth.
Brits Chaz Davies claimed tenth with Leon Haslam in 12th. The final grid will be decided top 15 riders head into Superpole which commences at 3pm.
Silverstone - FIM Superbike World Championship - Qualifying 2
1. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 2'05.355
2. Leon Camier (Fixi Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 2'05.383
3. Sylvain Guintoli (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 2'05.569
4. Eugene Laverty (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 2'05.592
5. Davide Giugliano (Althea Racing) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 2'05.750
6. Jonathan Rea (Pata Honda World Superbike) Honda CBR1000RR 2'05.775
7. Loris Baz (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 2'05.983
8. Jules Cluzel (Fixi Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 2'06.015
9. Carlos Checa (Team Ducati Alstare) Ducati 1199 Panigale R 2'06.036
10. Chaz Davies (BMW Motorrad GoldBet SBK) BMW S1000 RR 2'06.057
11. Marco Melandri (BMW Motorrad GoldBet SBK) BMW S1000 RR 2'06.283
12. Leon Haslam (Pata Honda World Superbike) Honda CBR1000RR 2'06.344
13. Michel Fabrizio (Red Devils Roma) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 2'06.471
14. Ayrton Badovini (Team Ducati Alstare) Ducati 1199 Panigale R 2'06.735
15. Max Neukirchner (MR-Racing) Ducati 1199 Panigale R 2'06.843
16. Mark Aitchison (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 2'07.743
17. Federico Sandi (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 2'08.106
18. Vittorio Iannuzzo (Grillini Dentalmatic SBK) BMW S1000 RR 2'09.543