Ad closing in seconds....

HONDA VFR800 VTEC (2001-2012) Review

Published: 23 November 2006

"Rides, goes and handles superbly but the V-Tec's variable valve timing has caused some controversy"

Honda VFR800 V-Tec motorcycle review - Riding

The VFR has come to define modern sports-touring, having been a staple in Honda’s range since 1998. With a V4 engine that traces its lineage back to the complex-but-characterful 750s of the mid ’80s, the 2002 launch of the VTEC-enabled 781cc version proved Honda were back to their cutting-edge best. Or so they thought.

The Honda VFR800 VTEC steers a little slower than some rivals, like the Sprint ST, or ST4S, and offers a plusher ride than average. But the slightly soft suspension doesn't dive at the front too much under braking, as the CBS system puts some braking force to the rear disc to balance things up a bit. In a word, the Honda VFR800 VTEC's handling is neutral.

The V4 is legendary; its 107bhp is tractable and flexible, and perfectly suited to the bike. Although the VTEC is described as Variable Valve Timing, this is something of a misnomer. In fact, there is no variation at all. It works simply by shutting off an inlet and exhaust valve on each of the four valve heads at low revs. So below 6800rpm the VFR runs an eight-valve head, and above that it runs on 16 valves. Subsequent models did have changes to the way it worked. But nevertheless the V4 is still engaging, providing great flexibility.

Anyone who has owned a gear driven cam VFR will wonder why Honda went back to camchains on this V4 cylinder engined Honda VFR800 VTEC. Sadly, they're in danger of being able to say `told you so' to owners who have had the Honda VFR800 VTEC recalled for camchain associated work under warranty. Apart from that, the Honda VFR800 VTEC is built to last 100,000 miles, but does need some expensive servicing along the way.

Used prices can vary from as little as £2500 for a private sale upto £5500 for a later model in a dealer's. They were popular bikes so there are always plenty of used examples about. Find a Honda VFR800 VTEC for sale.

Insurance group: 14 of 17 – compare motorcycle insurance quotes now.

There's a big problem with going touring on the Honda VFR800 VTEC - there's no luggage space whatsoever - the underseat exhausts, while looking good, mean there's nowhere to put soft luggage so factor in the price of hard luggage if you're planning on going touring. You'll also want to think about adding a larger screen as the stock item is a bit low. On the upside, the Honda VFR800 VTEC has a 22 litre fuel tank, comfy saddle, a grabrail and a centrestand.

Year introduced 2001
Front suspension Preload
Rear suspension Preload, rebound
Front brake Twin 296mm discs
Front tyre size 120//70 x 17

2001: Honda VFR800 V-Tec launched.
2003: ABS option for Honda VFR800 V-Tec appears.
2006: Honda VFR800 V-Tec's Reworked V-Tec system now kicks in 200rpm lower down range, Honda claims it works smoother too. Clear indicator lenses, fairing panel tweaks and new colour schemes too.

Honda VFR800 V-Tec ABS: Same as standard model but with ABS braking.

59 owners have reviewed their HONDA VFR800 VTEC (2001-2012) and rated it in a number of areas. Read what they have to say and what they like and dislike about the bike below.

Review your HONDA VFR800 VTEC (2001-2012)

Great sport tourer

24 October 2018 by Jason C

I really enjoy this bike, owned for about four years, toured in France, Ireland, Scotland and Spain. It is all day comfortable, as I have proven several times, including a 600-mile run from the Highlands to Devon in 12 hours. Mine has a Corbin seat, which definitely helps here. It is quite heavy, so does not respond like the 'Blade I had before, but the stability is excellent. I love the noise, when the VTEC kicks in, and don't find this a problem at all.

Brakes are good, but need to be kept clean, and are quite sensitive to pad material. A harder pad gives much better feel and initial response. I really like the linked brakes, and feel a bit odd when switching to my Tuono with conventional brakes
Engine makes a lovely noise, is smooth and relatively powerful, with a nice linear response. Is good at low and high speed. Also gives 45 to 55 mpg in my hands.
Mine is now up to about 45k miles. Build quality is really good, with quality materials. I do all my own maintenance, and the quality of the body panels is apparent every time you remove them. They feel unbreakable. Had one problem with the headlights failing completely during my holiday in Ireland due to cable failure. Have since fitted jumper wire to light connector, and also hard wired the Reg/rec.
I service and maintain it myself. It is mostly easy to work on. The valve clearance check is a bit of a long process, and I know expensive if you pay for it to be done. Mine had the 16k check before my ownership. I did the 32k check and found 1. Shim had been changed at 16k and 4 were needed at 32k, including 1 VTEC shim.
Well it has wheels an engine etc. Things that are less common are twin trips, proper fuel gauge and air temperature gauge. I have fitted heated grips, Givi rack and boxes, the fantastic Corbin seat and a double bubble screen. I use Michelin PR3 tyres which I find very good. Had previously fitted Continentals Contact Sport which gave terrible wear mileage.

Bought privately for £2700.

One of the very best sports tourers out there

14 November 2016 by Lockie

I ride this bike to work everyday, use it on the weekends and have toured around the UK and France on my VFR. It has never missed a beat. The engine is great and it is comfortable, even over a few hundred miles. On the down side, you'll need luggage if you're touring and heated grip if you're using in cold weather - both upgrades I've made. The VFR is a great all-rounder.

It is a genuine all rounder. It works well filtering through traffic, on motorways and everything in between. The seating position is perhaps a little more sport than tourer (say when compared to a Triumph Sprint), but is comfortable over long distances. I would typically take a break for a stretch every 100 miles or so. Brakes are powerful and suspension is fine for what it is. I've never ridden on a track, but would imagine it's fairly capable for a sports tourer.
The engine is great. The engine does leap a little in power as the VTEC kicks in at around 6k RPM, but has a never cause my an issue. Going around town, the engine ticks over nicely at around 3.5k RPM, with enough power to accelerate. Below 3k is lacks a little (as you'd expect)
My bike is 10 years old and is still pretty much in mint condition. It's been serviced regularly and the engine has never missed a beat
The VTEC servicing costs have attracted some criticism. I use an independent mechanic - even the big 16k service was only £220. It is a little thirsty with fuel, but to be expected for a machine with 100+ BHP. Economy is substantially better on a long run than riding around town.
If you don't have luggage this bike has no space for storage. Under seat exhausts mean no under seat storage space. I have a top box and use Oxford soft panniers and a tank bag when touring.

25 October 2016 by GoonerNev

Great all rounder, comfortable riding position, I am 6' 2" but do not feel cramped on the bike. Great for around town I use it for work daily, super tourer drove across France on the VFR, I have the 3 boxes and a tank bag and keeps up with sports bikes on ride outs.

I ride the bike daily and have toured and the wife likes a ride now and again very comfortable especially for my height used to have a Fazer but I would get cramp after a long ride no such problem on the VFR800
Great all rounder power is there when needed easy to ride in traffic.
Very reliable but that's what you get with a Honda
I ride mine daily
Very well made and equipped.

Best bike I have ever owned, never going back to the smaller cc or cruisers.

24 October 2016 by Patrick Wynne

Having had 10 years experience with middle weight cruisers, dirt bikes and previous smaller sport bike. The most comfortable sporty style bike I have ever owned, fully capable of carrying a weekends worth of gear, -up and going cross country while letting me play in the twistys all day long. I don't think I'll ever seek another bike.

Incredibly amazing, smooth, the kind of bike you wanna have fun on that doesn't wear you down.
Not the fastest like an R1, but can run just like the 600s around town and better than a R6, CBR600R touring. Overall more versatile bike than most in the sport class.
Have not had to perform any maintenance in 16K miles other than oil changes, runs like a champ.
Bought 3 year oil change pass for 200
Better than my last bike

Viffer

31 March 2016 by Wayne

I traded out the rear shock for a Daugherty Motorsports build f4i; sprung and valved for my weight. Easily scrape the outside of you foot with Pilot Powers on the bike. Two Brothers with baffle makes a few more ponies. I tour regularly from Canada to Albuquerque US with 500+ mile days; with little or no effort. I love my Viffer, but... do the generator/rectifier/ upgrade or it eats stators yearly.

Makes power smooth and sounds killer through a Two Brothers with baffle in place.
98k and keeps on ticking. People often honk to say "nice bike", and "hey that's clean." For a 12 year old bike to look and run this good has to say something! Am I right?
This said it's worth it for the handling and power of this wonderful ride.

31 October 2015 by Steven

MCN has the fuel consumption or miles per gallon for this motorcycle correct. I do a forty mile round trip to work every day motorway riding and at best I get about 38-40 MPG. The VFR is a lovely motorcycle. A plush ride and sweet engine. I just wish the fuel economy was a little better and the bike was a little lighter. I own a few motorcycles and I look forward to riding this one every day. Sweet machine by my book...

Use it as a "comfy sports bike"

21 September 2015 by KB

Use it for spirited riding, love the howl of the vtec/induction kicking in

Two engines for the price of one.
Reasonable fuel consumption on motorways when not using the vtec. gets a bit thirsty when you play in the 12k rev range, there again don't get something for nothing.

Dealer - easy transaction

VFR800 2008

14 August 2015 by Costner

Fast and comfortable

excellent brakes
VTEC is fun

Bought it from a dealer for 12.000 euro (ABS version)

Best dubget sports tourer only with suspension upgrades

15 May 2015 by Ahmet

Long distance comfort, handling and multiple discipline use are positive. Negatives : soft suspension with not enough adjustability

You can do 120kph with a pillion without a break however pillion seat is quite windy. So it is a no for two-up riding an Autobahn speeds. Brakes are very very good. Lights are perfect.
There is a strange surging at 2000-3000 RPM range that upset bike handlingespecially in tight hairpins. Plus engine is not strong enough without the Vtec
Gold valves for the front and new rear shock is a must. Recommended accessories are touring shield, mirror extenders, gear indicator and heated grips. You can use sport tyres for solo touring as the engine is quite easy on the tyre life

Privately for £4K

VFR800 Vtec

30 July 2014 by JasonOwen

Now done two months of touring and covered just over 10,000 miles. Sensible modifications -Rear mudguard,front fender extender,double bobble screen,givi ruck and 45 litres top box and soft oxford panniers. Rider previous experience:14 years of riding. I am 5'9 and 79kg. Fuel consumption: if you ride the bike on the motorway with reasonable speed 70-80miles an hour.It will return 45 -54 miles per gallon assuming that you do not get the vtec kick in from start.Bike sits at 80 miles very confortably.In the city and riding fast the fuel consumption can drop down to 36 miles per gallon. Service charges: I was really worried before buying this bike because I have read really bad comments on how expensive maintenance cost of running the bike. One of my friend’s brother owned several VFRs and currently working as mechanic. I have spoken to him when I was in holiday he has assured me that the VFR800 vtec model does not require valve clearance at 15000.Hedid valve clearance checked over 10 vtec between 15000 to 20000miles ridden bikes of the customers and never had to change shims.He did his bike clearance at 32,000 miles and had to change 2 shims. So there is no need to worry about the valve clearance as far as I am concerned. I do ride 8000 miles per year so once in every 4 years of valve clearance cost of 500pounds from local bikes shop is not bad. Besides from that you can do most of your services yourself at very little cost. Buy Haynes manual or watch videos on you tube you can easily carry out oil, air filter, break pad change yourself. Handling: I found the seat very comfortable when riding and handle bar slightly forward so if you are taller rider than you can buy the handle bar raiser to improve comfort. I usually place bag between myself and the tank and lean towards it.I feel so relaxed when riding I do 600 miles a day with no ache at all.Rear suspention is adjustable so that you can make it hard or soft as you like. The bike feels so good on the motorway as its stable at high speed. Wind protection is excellent as long as you add taller screen. When it comes to sport riding it feels bit slow and heavy on the corners if you are thinking of leaning the bike down but the power is there when coming out of the corners. Other important qualities: The head lights are brilliant.The centre stand comes as standards, must have for touring bikes and makes the life easy when adjusting and lubricating the chain. I have purchased the bike year and half ago and had no problem with it so far did long trip to Istanbul and back.Just changed the oil,oil filter,air filter and before the trip I have put Pilot Road 3 tires on it too. It still has 3 to 4000 miles left on the rear tire. You can get between 9000 to 14000 miles from the good known brand tires. Little comparison: I did over 1000 miles on the Blackbird before purchasing my VFR800 vtec.As the bike is commented on many forums as best sport touring bike. It feels much more powerful than VFR and it eats up the mileages really well. But the bike is more on the sport touring side. It does not look good as VFR very old dated looking bike. It overheats really badly in the city and difficult to filter through. So if you are looking for ALL rounder than Vfr800 will tick all the boxes.

Real user review

30 July 2014 by Anonymous

Now done two months of touring and covered just over 10,000 miles. Sensible modifications-Rear mudguard,front fender extender,double bobble screen,givi ruck and 45 litres top box and soft oxford panniers. Rider previous experience:14 years of riding. I am 5'9 and 79kg. Fuel consumption: if you ride the bike on the motorway with reasonable speed 70-80miles an hour.It will return 45 -54 miles per gallon assuming that you do not get the vtec kick in from start.Bike sits at 80 miles very confortably.In the city and riding fast the fuel consumption can drop down to 36 miles per gallon. Service charges: I was really worried before buying this bike because I have read really bad comments on how expensive maintenance cost of running the bike. One of my friend’s brother owned several VFRs and currently working as mechanic. I have spoken to him when I was in holiday he has assured me that the VFR800 vtec model does not require valve clearance at 15000.Hedid valve clearance checked over 10 vtec between 15000 to 20000miles ridden bikes of the customers and never had to change shims.He did his bike clearance at 32,000 miles and had to change 2 shims. So there is no need to worry about the valve clearance as far as I am concerned. I do ride 8000 miles per year so once in every 4 years of valve clearance cost of 500pounds from local bikes shop is not bad. Besides from that you can do most of your services yourself at very little cost. Buy Haynes manual or watch videos on you tube you can easily carry out oil, air filter, break pad change yourself. Handling: I found the seat very comfortable when riding and handle bar slightly forward so if you are taller rider that you can buy the handle bar raiser to improve comfort.I usually place bag between myself and the tank and lean towards it.I feel so relaxed when riding I do 600 miles a day with no ache at all.Rear suspention is adjustable so that you can make it hard or soft as you like. The bike feels so good on the motorway as its stable at high speed.Wind protection is excellent as long as you add taller screen.When it comes to sport riding it feels bit slow and heavy on the corners if you are thinking of leaning the bike down but the power is there when coming out of the corners. Other important qualities: The head lights are brilliant.The centre stand comes as standards, must have for touring bikes and makes the life easy when adjusting and lubricating the chain. I have purchased the bike year and half ago and had no problem with it so far did long trip to Istanbul and back.Just changed the oil,oil filter,air filter and before the trip I have put Pilot Road 3 tires on it too. It still has 3 to 4000 miles left on the rear tire. You can get between 9000 to 14000 miles from the good known brand tires. Little comparison: I did over 1000 miles on the Blackbird before purchasing my VFR800 vtec.As the bike is commented on many forums as best sport touring bike. It feels much more powerful than VFR and it eats up the mileages really well. But the bike is more on the sport touring side. It does not look good as VFR very old dated looking bike. It overheats really badly in the city and difficult to filter through. So if you are looking for ALL rounder than Vfr800 will tick all the boxes.

vtec

07 June 2012 by baldonerabbit

now done 48,000 miles ,servicing done by local garage costing a round £230 for major service(shims)as yet nothing changed .next outlay for new front/back suspention but not bad for 48,000 miles.what can i say its a honda!!

Right for me

10 May 2012 by vitesse20

In my opinion, I can't fault it. Got a back full of rods and screws and find it most comfortable. Must add that I had to get a Sergeant seat, Vario screen and Heli-bars to make it this comfy. Stock seat and handlebars are too low and too hard. That said, went France last year and did a 450 mile day to get to Caen and was surprised that I had no ill effects. I can't fault the running or handling of the bike as I don't need it to get round corners on the hero studs, though I don't doubt it's capable, though I'm probably not. It is heavy to get on to the centre stand, particularly with the luggage on. Can't say any different from a lot of the other comments and reviews. Would like to change up to a newer one, but can't justify the money when there is no problem with mine and don't know what I would replace it with to get a different bike, though CBF1000 would be a strong contender.

Grows on you

17 March 2012 by Scapegoat

Some one else here also commented that they traded their CBR600 on the VFR, same here. I have owned the VFR since last June & at 1st I was a bit overwhelmed by its techno complexity compared to my previous carbed in line 4. Their has been a lot of negative things written about it here & on forums & I was worried about how much it was going to cost for servicing & what would be the 1st thing to cr*p itself, I happy to say that I think its all BS. I fitted an aftermarket rack, bag(s) & a wool seat cover and its now the perfect long distance hauler. The motor has freed up beautifully & since its 1st service, runs cooler with an adjustment of the throttle cable getting rid of the low speed throttle snatch. After my last bike, its taken a while to get used to the handling differences & some of the quirks of a V4 motor. That said, it holds its line & rock steady in corners. It maybe a fat b*stard at over 200kg wet, but it disappears when your moving, although you will pop a hernia trying to put it on it's center stand. I asked my mechanic how much the 1st service will cost (non Honda) & since they have never had one where the valves needed adjusting! about a 3rd of what a Honda dealer will quote. I've grown to love this bike, it took a few good rides, have had no problems. It's not a sports bike, its a bike to let loose on over week end away, but your not going to be to far behind & your not the one that will be complaining about a sore back & wrists. Buy one

Back to the best.

25 February 2012 by boroboy

Traded in my Versys for another VFR, should never have sold my last one. These bikes are superb, if you want a bike that will stonk along fully loaded two up safely for miles, this is still the best out there by miles. I spend a lot of time on the A1 and I don't think another bike would do the job any better, fast, safe, versatile, and still has curb appeal, it may be a tad heavy but I love it. Don't understand some of the comments. These are superb handling bikes and despite what is written will still mix it up when you want to. If they are that poor why do they cost so much!!!

Almost perfect

22 November 2011 by 00snook

I absolutely adore my VFR. The engine is smooth, the VTEC provides a good woop of power and the suspension (once fiddled with a bit) is firm enough to be sporty whilst comfortable for cruising. That being said there are a couple of niggles. 1) I struggle to do more than about 200 miles a day on it. Sore bum and bars a bit low so wrists start to hurt. 2) Standard screen means the wind hits me right in the neck, so long motorway journeys at speed can be a bit tiring. Really those are the only negatives. Would strongly recommend this bike.

Terrible

20 October 2011 by Chris132

Following on from my previous review 'not a bike you'll love' it has gone from bad to worse. This bike is awful it has not cost me nearly £2000 in just over a year just to keep it on the road. There is now a horrible noise coming from the clutch and I can't give a good reason for this because it has had regular dealership services. It is just an allround terrible machine. The point when the vtec kicks in I had previously stated that it wasn't anywhere near as bad as other people had suggested well it is now very noticeable to the point of making the rear wheel skip out on bends, dangerous and not necessary. Aviod.

A few thousand miles with a 2007 RWB

20 August 2011 by dankatz

I purchased my first VFR a special edition 2007 that was setup for touring (panniers, trunk, GPS, Givi screen) used as an upgrade to a Yamaha 2008 FZ6 fazer. I love the looks, comfort, fuel tank size/range, suspension, transmission and Honda quality. The VTEC transition is not abrupt, but is noticeable and the bike acquires quite the kick to it. I have ridden two up in comfort as well as done some sport oriented touring. It is a little on the heavy side, so walking pace is noticeable. I wish the 800CC engine had even more torque down in the low end(noticeably less than it's ST1050 and F800ST rivals). Overall, love the bike and plan to keep it for a long time.

Not what they used to be...

20 July 2011 by happylemon666

I'm on my second VFR, this one an 05 vtec, previously an 01 gear driven cams engine. The older one had much more charecter, but decided to get the 05 bike when I saw a bargain for sale. It's when you first get to the big service and the shop says it'll take 2 days to do the valve clearances! It ain't cheap, and still has a 4kmiles service interval - even ducati beat that! My other problem is that I now mostly just tour, been down to italy this year, sweden last year, spain/france before that. It does the job but everytime I've got home I tell myself - I should get a BMW for all this. But I never have done. So all in all, it's done everything I ask of it, but probably cost me more in ownership than I really anticipated. It's this all things to all men thing that I think is the achilles heal. It's too uncomfortable after a while for all day motorway trips, yet too heavy when you arrive at the mountains (it's about the same wieght as an RT!). For me I need to decide which I like best - going places, or riding the bike when I get there. Leaning towards the former right now.....

Not a bike you'll love

05 July 2011 by Anonymous

Had my '03 VFR for just over a year now and covered over 7000 miles. I do an 80 mile ride four times a week, the trip has a bit of everything so I can safely say I've covered all types of riding on it. At first I really enjoyed the bike having had an XJ6 before, it was a totally different experience. The VTEC is nowhere near as bad as people make out it is more of an irritation than anything and you can just adapt the way you ride to deal with it. Over the past year I've slowly realised that this bike isn't anything you can really enjoy, it's too heavy to flick around, the servicings are expensive and after an hour the riding the position just starts to make me ache (6'1" 16 stone maybe I'm just too big). I'll keep it for about six more months then getting rid of it and getting something that's fun, doesn't weigh the same as a morbidly obese american, got plenty of torque and will remind me of why I loved biking in the first place.

So Much Fun

26 June 2011 by punksnotdead

Long haul bike and simply easy to command. The engine growls at me! New Cross South London to Bromyard Herefordshire M40,A44,with this bike is a frill. 205 plus miles from a full tank with the VTEC on for rocket fun. Love this bike !

The Ford Focus Bike

12 June 2011 by sma11fry

A once superb bike, but just stayed around too long. The engine sounds horrid, prefer a straight 4 or triple even. Lacks torque low down, but once stirred it handles, sure footed and safe, not comfortable, bars are too low, and it feels top heavy and has the turning circle of an oil tanker. As a toy, yes it will do for touring, the chain adjustment and lubing is a pain, wish I'd stuck with my K1200RS or got a GT, which suffer none of the above. It is what it is, a bike for those that set their expectations low, and don't know how good it can be. The Ford Focus, an ST model maybe, but no M3.

Gets better all the time

26 May 2010 by 5xmAdzam

It took a while to grow on me but after a year of ownership I can't see a better all round bike. I regularly go out with groups of riders and the VTEC is never left wanting, in fact, more often than not it is the fastest into corners and the quickest through. It can't compete in a straight line with the big boys but you are never left behind. Add this to the build quality and reliability and you have got one cracking motorcycle. One minus though - the VTEC is a waste of time in terms of the very small boost at 7000 revs against the additional cost of servicing.

Maybe it'll grow on me

20 February 2010 by rumbler

I've had my 06 VFR for 4 months and only done a couple of thousand miles on it. So far the stand-out features are build quality and ... hmmm ok, ride is superb. The engine's great but low speed fuelling is poor. No excuse Honda, if a little company like Triumph can get it so right on the Tiger. Handling is OK, ish. Somehow the riding position is too static to allow me to easily shift about on it so not able to get the best out of it. The front end just does not seem quite right, maybe new tyres will sort it. Ages ago I felt the same about a Z650 but |I grw to love it's all round ability and reliability. Maybe I'll feel the same about the VFR some day.

Great Bike

02 February 2010 by jdm8109

On my third VFR - 2 VTEC and one Non VTEC. Latest is an 08 in Sword Silver. Invested in a pair of Staintunes. I never liked the stock VTEC exhausts. Staintunes are perfect - not too loud but deffo improve the looks. The bike is a dream to ride and despite the design being about 9 years old, still looks modern. The build quality is exceptional, the exhaust note sensational and it brings a smile to my face, even opening the garage door to look at it. The VTEC "kick" is more sound than actual kick and adds personality. I love it.

mpg

18 September 2009 by PaulDutch

Done a weekend trip,about 800miles in all,2 up,to Lands end a few months ago on 2002 800 vtec, average 45mpg, one stage between fill ups was 49mpg, speed around 80mph most of the way with an 8 stone pillion,12 stone me and a bag each. not bad I thought...

being very honest

16 September 2009 by Anonymous

I have owned my 2003 VFR-Vtec ABS for more than a year and have done 5,000 miles on it. When bought it all recall work had been done on it and it had full service history with 3 previous owners and 8,500 miles on the clock. Still very tight, sharp, and clean. It is a beautiful bike (apart from the head lights), gorgeous end cans, single sided swingarm (that has added unnecessary weight ), sharp lines and because of its size it certainly has presence on the road and mine is in fire engine Red colour that has added more presence to it. Handling Compared to my other bikes (Hayabusa & ZZR600) handling was a big disappointment, because other two are much lower than VFR. VFR is higher and heavier, so centre of gravity is higher and changing direction is not very sharp, so it is not very sporty. Ride is very comfortable but handling, Disappointed. Vtec and MPG Whole point of Vtec engine was lower petrol consumption when you don’t need the full power, it does 38 to 41 MPG in town. Not great but not bad either, but when you don’t have the full power why petrol consumption is high like a 750 supersport bike? When the Vtec kicks in, it is a different bike. Very fast and beautiful sounding, but I would prefer full power to be available in lower revs too. They have made it safe I guess. Engine Torque is spread out through revs, enough torque. EXTREMELLY reliable engine, absolutely bullet proof. Last winter Dec 2008-Jan 2009 temperature dropped to Minus -12 Centigrade, bike started by first touch of the button on every single day. I test rode a vfr vtec with 46,000 miles on the clock and it felt very tight and healthy. Goods: Good mirrors, very very stable bike in high speeds I have done top speed run on it reaching 157 MPH, very stable, combined breaking system is a plus and with ABS you don’t need to worry about locking the back wheel but breaking will not be as sharp as none-ABS ones. Good screen, panel has nearly everything displaying on it, like ambient temperature, 2 trip metres, fuel gauge, option of KilometrePH or MilePH, coolant temperature. Very comfy bike, it is a true tourer and the last breed of under 1000cc sportstourers in UK. Fully adjustable suspension (ABS version only). Very good all rounder, Jack of all trades really. This bike has sold in millions. Most reliable bike I have ever owned and I have owned quiet a few bikes. Bads: Heavy bike, Handling that if combined tires you on the twisty roads, Vtec (which I am not fan of it) kicks in too late (6800/ 11000 RPM), tricky to strap a cargo net, a bit boring on the sporty side, Jack of all trades but master of none. Honda’s hard luggage set is very expensive.

all weather

28 August 2009 by PaulDutch

Great bike,I`ve not been riding long(2 yrs)3rd bike,reckon I`ll keep it for a while,great for distance.Got a 2001 v-tec model done almost 10000miles on it,had it a year now,OK I dont ride it hard(my licence is quite important to me!)also on same tyres still,metzeler roadtec z6,rear still has about 1000miles left.Got big service coming up so better start saving aint I...!!

v4steve

25 May 2009 by v4steve

Great bike does everything i want of a bike bought it new 2005 no problems no more to be said.

2009 VFR800

06 May 2009 by Tooshay

I Bought it over a month and a half ago. What a mistake to make! I have owned other japanese & fuel injected bikes ranging between 650 & 1300cc with no problems. But this is just awful. Unfortunately i'm 19 & not allowed to test ride bikes before i purchase them, which is lucky for honda in the short-term as i've bought what i must admit is potentially a fantastic bike, but honda have made a real mess of it, I'm sure it should have "not for road use" stamped in the frame or bodywork somewhere - i still haven't found where yet. Had i have been allowed a test ride, i would never have bought it. I have since been told (by the dealer itself) they're not made for using in town's or cities - then what the hell are they made for, i know they're sports tourers & my commute does involve open roads as well as the city, but they're not much of a bike if i can't actually use the thing for commuting!? But in the long-term Honda have now lost a young customer for life for not just the awful bike, but for how i have since been treated, as Honda obviously doesn't like it when people complain! They may well all be like it, but that doesn't make them right. I challenge Honda to start making bikes with square wheels & then tell their customers it's fine because they're all like it!

02 V-TEC

22 April 2009 by thomas240871

Just bought my 2nd vfr after a few years off bikes and i must say it's a great improvement from my 89 fj model. I've only done about 1700 miles so far but getting more confident in removing that last 1/2 inch of shiny rubber still around the rear bridgstone! Just removed the genuine rear luggage box and carrier that came with it and fitted a single seat cowl. Does anyone know what the best type of cans to put on as the standard ones are too quiet for my liking. Heated grips (oxford) work well as long as you only put them to half way, if not it'l grill ya fingers like a gorge forman grill. Anyone out there recomend a good set or tyres ? Currently on BT020'S Cheers and enjoy the summer. Keep it fun, keep alive !

VFR - Yawn!!

16 April 2009 by Dazzy321

Recently purchased a black VFR, not a bad bike quite boring, had a few problems buying it badly let down by Honda HQ and also dealership where I bought it. Petrol consumption is high but haven't run it in yet, 3 things have gone wrong with it the 2 weeks I have owned it. Needless to say well disappointed and can't wait to bin it and get a decent bike..

VTEC zzzzzz

08 April 2009 by mag46

One of the dullest & overpriced bikes ever built! They corrode like sparrow shit! I think most of these reviews are written by Honda marketing people!

Best All Rounder.

30 March 2009 by xv1100uk

Got my '03 new and have only needed to replace the tyres. I am sure that if you could fit knobblies it would have been a Dakar winner. ;-)

Excellent All-round

19 March 2009 by MacVfr

Having had to make the difficult choice of giving up my much be-loved cbr600 i had to look for something that could eat up the miles yet still be fun on the back roads. Ive had my Vfr 08 for about 9months now and loved every mile on it,the v-tec is alittle strange at first but once you get used to it the extra power is a welcome boost. Fuel wise ive managed over 200miles from a tank on the motorway but ive been ready to stop before the fuel has ran out. Its been fantastic so far and easy to live with,you can still throw it about once you get used to the weight and has a smooth throttle to blast out of corners. And on the flip side if you just want to cruise along on that nice sunday lunch it'll take you where ever you need to go without the fuss or drama.

excellent tourer

15 February 2009 by jdavies123

Great honda quality...Wheelieable too! Great range and fuel consumption. Excellent!

58 plate vfr800 abs

11 February 2009 by sportsboyuk

This bike is so much fun why cos you can do anything on it and it just gets on with it. I now plan to now fit airflow screen, power commander 3, air filter, and some nice cans but i can not wait for summer !!!!!!!! ride safe guys be happy live to ride

new VFR800V tech fantastic bike still

06 December 2008 by sportsboyuk

Ive had a lot I mean a lot of race rep bike touring sports supersports bikes and this bike after all these years is still FANTASTIC no throttle glitch, smooth quick enough for the uk roads with european drivers,lol its a little thirsty but its tight running in after the rubbish paneuropean 1300 this bike handles and it looks good too

58 plate vfr800

30 November 2008 by sportsboyuk

After the new paneuro which was crap a bad handling disaster im glad its gone. I now have a great vfr800 which is down on power but what a great bike beautiful to look at and ride no handling faults unlike the Pan euro, AND NO poor throttle control at all its smooth revs nice. More wind blast but hey its a sports tourer not an over sized scooter like the Pan euro. I really look forward to some nice weather lol if only and to ride this bike more i cant wait for the VFR1000 four its not going to be a v5 honda say. After years on bikes and mostly race rep bike this bike is a stunning all rounder so welll made too awsome ill give it 9/10

I love it... Really i do

13 October 2008 by muzz

Had my vfr about 2 months now after tradeing my 600rr and i love it.I'm 6'2" so it is a lot better for me, power delivery is good enough and handles really well.Had to harden up the rear abit as it was way to soft ,but now throw into islands scraping the old knee on the deck,must be honest I was very surprised how well it did go.Next year track day.Buy one you,ll love it..........

Beautiful bike

02 September 2008 by tkalfaoglu

Rides like a dream, built like a tank (yes I did drop it), if you are docile, it uses 4.0 liters of petrol per 100km. If you are not docile, it's a lot of fun to ride solo, or can go to distance with a pillon. We travelled all over Turkey last summer with my wife as pillon, not a peep from the bike despite 100+F temperatures.

does what it says on the tin!!!!

31 August 2008 by tintinjsy

ive had my new 07 vfr 800 for 3 months now,got the bike for £6800 from a dealer in jersey where i live,had a nightmare running it in,as you can imagine living on a island 12 miles by 9 miles,i did more circuits than lewis hamilton,overall i think the bike does exaclty what it say`s on the tin,its a typical mile muncher,which is what i got it for,only 1 hour on the ferry from jersey to st malo,the proof will be in the pudding when i take it away in sept for a 18 day tour of europe,i got the panniers for £500 from the dealer in jersey,so not bad for a touring set up,i will submit another review when i get back,reading all the other reviews it could be intresting.

Disapointed

29 June 2008 by cookimonster

All the hype of the VFR, I own a 06 model and its only good for motorways, which is a shame as I try to stay off them. Very poor fuel cunsumption only 150 miles to a tank and thats if I ride it like a nun! owend a ZX6R 01 plate before, smaler tank, same range before I turned the reserve and hamered it all day. Will not be getting another one, thats for sure

If you like sewing machines......

16 April 2008 by rgv666

I bought mine with 400 miles showing. Noisey gearchange, drinks petrol, heavy and way too over complicated. Early corrosion signs set in within a month despite very regular cleaning. Looks of a Goddess but starting to date a touch now. Generally underwhelmed for a bike that is so expensive and overhyped.Power delivery is nothing special - VTEC is annoying after a while. Will not be having another.

mpg better than expected

24 February 2008 by dubhe

Bought an ex-demo for motorway commuting, have done around 2,000 miles in the past six weeks. Have averaged 44 mpg, with 70% motorway and 30% nipping around the city. Have had 57 when the motorway was quiet and I sat at the speed limit, but this can drop as low as 33 if you use full luggage, carry a pillion or drive it like you stole it... Comfy for 2 or 3 hours between fuel stops, which could be well over 200 miles on a well topped up tank, but usually get bored before then! Fairing good, but then I'm only 5'7". Bike feels well built and like it is going to last and last. VTEC 'kick' is very smooth on my 2007 model and not a concern at all. Besides, on the motorway in sixth you'd have to be doing a ton to engage all 16 valves. This to me is good as cruising sensibly you get the better economy. I'd say I'd buy another but I believe Honda are going to replace the VFR and Blackbird with a new V5 sports tourer, I just hope they don't take as long to get it right as they did with the VFR.

mpg better than expected

24 February 2008 by dubhe

great

21 December 2007 by steveofar

love it, eats miles and does everything

Perfection

02 October 2007 by boroboy

Had a Pan European 1300 for two years that was near perfect, but for the damn size of the thing at a standstill ( i am only 5"5 )I would have kept it much longer.Bought my VFR in June and not stopped smiling since.Why people moan about the V-Tech i dont know, i think the power kick is fantastic and is unbelievablely stable at high speed, even two up.I ride 150 miles a day at least 4 days a week and think i have found the perfect machine, even the sports riders give me a wave when i blast past!!!!!If i had to moan about anything it will be the price, i waited a long time for one to come up and i bought a 07/56 plate and got an excellent deal against new price, but £8500 new is a bit pricey. I suppose you pay for the build quality, that is superb.Go out and get one.

It must be ok because...

09 September 2007 by meccano

....I've had mine for 4 years/24000 miles and it still looks brand new. AND there's nothing come onto the market within that time that I'd want to PX it for. Reliability has been 100%, build quality good (paint a little on the thin side, though). Vtec is an unneccessary gimmick but not intrusive. It gets ridden "spiritedly", does at least 3 weeks abroad each year when it never gets cleaned or garaged, lives on very basic servicing (just oil, filter & air filter) and still comes back for more. There are better sports bikes, there are better tourers, but this is without doubt the ultimate UJM.

A bit boring

02 March 2007 by dfsdfd

I like it but its a bit boring

Marketed as a two up tourer, well, it aint either. Honda, go back and start again and dump the Vtec

24 July 2006 by rearwheel

I like the colour and thats about it. Power - none. Acceleration - none. Brakes - are any fitted? VTec - I HATE IT. Oh dear why such a bad crit? Coz this bike deserves one! I bought it after an hours test ride. Serves me right? Possibly. And I'd heard AND read it was the dogs for touring 2 up and after an hour it seemed a good bike but after 1 week with it, it obviously wasn't. Well, Honda must be giving backhanders to the world press to get them to bum it up, coz this bike is rubbish. Everything is a calculation on it, overtakes, braking distances etc. Talking of brakes, does it have any? And get rid of the CBS crap. When I pull the lever I want to stop not worry IF! VTec? Who the hell designed that. Round a corner in 3rd revs up constant throttle, squeeze some more just a little and OOMMPH blasted vtec kicks in so you're accelerating B4 U want to. I want to be in control, NOT the bike. Its 9 months old done 4k miles and is being sold now. I HATE THIS BIKE. My pillion hates it. CRAP! Strengths: It doesnt have any strengths. Weaknesses: Brakes, Brakes, Brakes, VTEC, VTEC, VTEC, VTEC I dare you to publish this!

No bottom end poke and engine hunts all the time

23 June 2006 by kericho

New 2006 vtec, bought to replace 1999 FiX. Looks great, handling and brakes excellent, but the 06 vtec (can't compare against earlier models) has really poor fuelling and hunts all the time, regardless of revs. It has hardly any bottom end grunt, and doesn't start to pull until 5000 rpm (vtec at 6600). It struggles to get past 140 mph on the flat, but will eventually creep up to 150. Build quality good, but the paint scratches if you look at it. MPG not any better than 16 valver - can't see the point in the vtec system. Disappointed, won't buy another, should have kept the FiX. Strengths: Handling and looks. Weaknesses: Engine and paint.

I exchanged my 2001 Bandit 600 that was restricted to 33bhp for a silver VFR Vtech.

28 May 2006 by undertakerdave

Not been able to ride it yet properly but I'm so far very impressed with the build qaulity. I've replaced my bandit 600 as it was restricted and I'm going to be traveling up and dow the country, and the bandits build quality isn't too good when out in all weather! The illustrious KICK from the Vtech is not evident on mine, I've found the power smooth, progressive, effective, the brakes too extremely sharp, not ABS but the Combined braking does a smashing job, it's not intrusive. The Honda hard luggage very good design. Strengths: Build qaulity,engine, Generally a fantasic bike. Weaknesses: The coolant bottle been behind fairing so to refill involves removing plastics???

An excellent all rounder, with the bias towards "sports", rather than "touring"!

06 March 2006 by markea

I bought my '02 VTEC after seeing it launched at the NEC in November 2001. Registered on an 02 plate and now having down around 16,000 miles, I rate this bike very highly. I've had it on long haul trips to Germany, and short haul trips to the local shopps, and on every ride I have a smile on my face. The bike is smoothe to ride and crisp to handle, with my only gripe being that when "touring" the VTEC kicks in almost exactly on the 95mph mark. I've also had a complaint that the passenger seat could be better, although this from a mate missus who pillions a Trophy! Strengths: * The comfortable riding position * Performance * Usability! Weaknesses: * Passenger comfort.

My second bike

22 February 2006 by DeFab

When my first bike (kawa gpz600r)gave in, I was looking for a sporty bike with good sitting conditions because of a whip-lash. I drove a Yamaha TDM, a Blackbird with an aftermarket steer and a VFR800FIY (yes green).I've driven around 10000 miles now and I have never regretted my choice. Strengths: Reliability. Weaknesses: Cost of oem-parts.

VFR 800 ABS with alarm and hugger

21 February 2006 by Rik1

Had a VFR before but decided to go for the new Vtec with ABS. This one I have used every day for work wind,rain, snow and sun. Never let me down. Stable at speed and easy to ride. Excellent all rounder whether short journey or long commute. Paid the extra for ABS which was definately worth the price with great stopping ability in the rain. Have carried all kind of luggage with ease. Strengths: Stopping ability and all round work horse. Weaknesses: You get the VTEC power blip at 7000rpm but so what!

VFR800

13 January 2006 by fambone

Smooth & powerfull. Great for long all day rides. Recently done a long tour with some serious canyon carving across South Africa - moutains plus some LONG lonely "horizon" stretches near the Kruger Park...200kph...for 45 minute stretches..a truely awesome bike. Strengths: Open Road comfort & power,incl "drop dead" good looks. Weaknesses: No dirt...but what the hell!!

honda VFR800 V-TEC

02 March 2005 by newforestman1

As I have sold my V-tec ,I can be honest with my opinion.Build quality is the best I have seen on any bike.riding position is comfortable for long distances.however after having VFR's for years ,I believe the V-Tec system doesnt work on a bike.there is very little low /mid range power which is a pain when in town .the brakes are poor by todays standards. the rear shock is too soft for high speed conering. the worst thing was the servicing costs .beware they are massive.Re-sale value not as high compared to older VFR's as V-Tecs are not as popular. Strengths: Build quality. comfort.long distance work. Weaknesses: V-Tec-No low power range grunt-poor brakes- re-sale value. high servicing costs.

Great bike 2up(most of the time for me/us?), good range, and plenty of power

16 September 2004 by scottied

Having had a fair few bikes in my 25yrs on bikes, I finally lived my childhood dream of a V4 Honda.And I now wish I'd got 1 sooner.The bike is in virtually standard trim apart from a doulble bubble screen,after market exhaust,and a Givi rack/topbox.Its used mainly 2 up on a weekend out for jaunts with mates on bigger bikes, but the only time its a problem is when the going gets steep.Had 1 long trip down to the Goodwood festival, arrived fresh as a daisy, but was tired on the ride back. Strengths: Plenty of torque, comfort, goodish fuel comsumption looks. Weaknesses: Could do with another 200cc to give it that extra power(the V5 should sort that, saving the pennies now!!!)

• Honda VFR800 V-Tec motorcycle review - Instruments
  • Honda VFR800 V-Tec motorcycle review - Brakes
  • Honda VFR800 V-Tec motorcycle review - Instruments
  • Honda VFR800 V-Tec motorcycle review - Front view
  • Honda VFR800 V-Tec motorcycle review - Rear view
Bauer Media

Bauer Media Group consists of: Bauer Consumer Media Ltd, Company number: 01176085, Bauer Radio Ltd, Company Number: 1394141
Registered Office: Media House, Peterborough Business Park, Lynch Wood, Peterborough, PE2 6EA H Bauer Publishing,
Company Number: LP003328 Registered Office: Academic House, 24-28 Oval Road, London, NW1 7DT.
All registered in England and Wales. VAT no 918 5617 01
Bauer Consumer Media Ltd are authorised and regulated by the FCA(Ref No. 710067)