There will be three versions to choose from if you’re in the market for a new MV Agusta F4 in 2013: the base model, an R, and an RR. MV have stated their motivation for the new F4 as being to “make the F4 the most advanced hypersport bike on the market”.
It probably doesn’t quite achieve that, with the likes of the Ducati 1199 Panigale R and BMW’s S1000RR HP4 to do battle with, the F4 is certainly an extremely highly spec’d superbike.
The F4 RR is the range-topper, and boasts the most advanced engineering solutions, with ride-by-wire throttle system, Öhlins electronically controlled semi-active suspension and steering damper, as well as GP spec’ titanium connecting rods to thrust the pistons up and pull them back down again in time to the frenetic new rev ceiling of 14,000rpm.
The F4 R and F4 get slightly less tricknology to play with, but each shares many of the features from their more impressive siblings – not least the newly proportioned and lighter four-exit exhaust silencer, new lightweight forged wheels and a new front spoiler integrated into the front fairing with DRL (Daylight Running Lights) that enhance the design, as well as the new tail light. All three get new graphics and colors, too.
2013 F4 Highlights:
• Short-stroke inline four-cylinder engine with central cam chain and radial valves
• MVICS Technology (Motor & Vehicle Integrated Control System)
• ELDOR electronics package with Ride-By-Wire system and four maps engine
- Throttle sensitivity adjustable (selectable between Normal, Sport and Rain)
- Max torque (selectable between Normal, Sport and Rain)
- Variable Engine response (selectable between Normal, Sport and Rain)
- Engine Braking (selectable between Normal, Sport and Rain)
- RPM limiter (selectable between Normal, Sport and Rain)
• Inertial vehicle lean angle sensor
• 8-level traction control
• EAS (Electronically Assisted Shift) quickshifter
• Modular mixed structure frame with hand TIG welded tubular steel trellis and aluminum plates
• Öhlins suspension with electronic control (F4 RR)
• Brembo monobloc brake calipers (model M50 on the F4 RR)
UK prices have been confirmed, and you can pick up and F4 for £13,499, an F4 R for £14,499 and the range-topping F4 RR for £18,499.
See Wednesday’s edition of Motor Cycle News for an in-depth look at the new F4s.