Members of the #ride5000miles campaign have been busy racking up the miles already this year. Sponsors of the campaign, SHARK Helmets, have already given you five steps to getting your lid #ride5000miles ready, and now, SHARK Helmets UK Technical Manager, Mark Eilledge, explains how you can keep your visor in good condition and why it's so important…
"The visor is one of the main parts of the helmet that becomes damaged or scratched - but it’s the most important for rider’s vision. Scratches and scuffs on the visor can impede rider’s lines of sight and when it’s dark, they can scatter light and make it difficult to see properly - which obviously, when riding, isn’t good."
Here are five top tips for looking after your visor:
- Choose your cloth carefully - when cleaning your visor, we’d recommend a microfibre cloth so that you don’t scratch it.
- Keep your hands off - greasy hands and fingers are the enemies of anti-fog coatings so try not to touch the inside of your visor if you can help it.
- Don’t be scared to wash it - use mild, soapy water to wash both sides. Even if it is fitted with a Pinlock or is coated with an anti-fog coating, both are fine to be washed with a soapy solution. Rinse thoroughly with clean water and leave to dry naturally.
- Stuck on stubborn muck? Place a piece of wet kitchen roll over the dirt and allow to soak in, the bugs will wipe away easily and you won’t have to scrub…
- Get yourself a spare - if you’ve got a spare visor, then even if your existing one is scratched then you never have to stop riding as you can simply replace and go.
To help celebrate its 30th anniversary, SHARK Helmets is running a free visor offer on selected helmets - including the Race-R Pro, Spartan, Spartan Carbon, Skwal 2, D-Skwal and Ridill helmets.
From April 1 to September 30, 2019, participating SHARK Helmet retailers across the country will be giving not one, but two additional visors - one clear and one black - to customers who purchase any Spartan, Spartan Carbon, D-Skwal or Skwal 2 helmet. Customers who purchase a Race-R Pro will receive an additional black visor and those purchasing a Ridill will get a free clear visor.
Depending on the helmet purchased, customers could receive a visor worth up to £99.99 for free.
To locate your nearest dealer, visit: www.nevis.uk.com or call 01425 478936.